Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rural Reality

This  beautiful church was built in 1914 and still holds services on alternate Sundays.
It is literally out in the middle of nowhere, serving the local farmers and ranchers.
Can you see the outhouse back behind it?

Hello!  Our family has returned from another weekend of camping and exploring beautiful Montana.   We had a wonderful time hiking, cooking outdoors, braving mosquitoes, driving to a ghost town, and enjoying each other's company.  I couldn't help but share some of the photos from our little adventure.  Being born and raised in rural Montana, I am always pleased to show-off my home state.  


Remnants of an old mining town.
You can see the floods of early summer have given way
to a hot and dry landscape.

This was a basement/foundation of a general store.
Looks a bit like the adobe homes one finds in AZ or NM.

We love camping!  My husband takes the best photos of us....

Now that I'm home, I have less than 2 weeks to finish up all the school shopping, can a million jars of tomatoes, and make one more trip to Grandma's before school starts.  Then I'm going to focus on my pillow cover for the Retro Pillow Challenge!



Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,



9 comments:

  1. Beautiful little church and little house. Just like postcards received from you. A happy and sweet photos with little ones. Enjoy the rest vacation before the new school term starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I'm a geek :) but I always wanted to go to Montana, Wyoming etc. - when I was younger I had a mad love affair with the old west. It is still my mostest favoritest part of American history. And it still looks just like I think it should (at least in these pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The area is so beautiful and unspoiled!

    Love old anything - particularly buildings.

    EXCELLENT photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel very fortunate to live surrounded by so much undeveloped land steeping with history and natural beauty. Thank you for your kind comments!

    Best,
    Rikka J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can check out this post to accept!

    http://www.happyhourprojects.com/2011/08/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Adrianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rikka, to show my love for your blog I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. See http://katescurios.blogspot.com/2011/08/versatile-blogger-award.html to accept your award.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos - they are well taken and also the scenery has a calming effect. I wish I could go there and see (minus the heat and mosquitoes!) How do you can tomatoes by the way? And then do you use them for sauce? Thanks for sharing these beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keren, speaking of photos, your new profile pic is very lovely. We say "can" tomatoes, but really it means to preserve them in "jars". I just chop 'em up, knock off the seeds, cook slightly and seal them into sterilized jars. My mom loves tomato jelly so I'll put up a small batch of that. Yes, I'll use my jars of toms for spaghetti sauce, goulash, salsa, and my fave: curried tomatoes with eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. About my picture: thank you! It was taken in my trip up north with my boyfriend. I think you can see that I am happy :-)

    The canned tomatoes sound great. They're also probably very pretty in the jars. Did you pick them or buy them? I read somewhere that the unhealthiest factory-tin-canned foods are tomatoes - so it is a really great idea to use the homemade healthy alternative. Perhaps you are inclined to post a short tutorial on canning tomatoes? :-D And how do you sterilize the jars?

    Not too many questions I hope! Sorry, I get curious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...